With the so many demands this life brings, most of us falls into the trap of asking for more time, saying that the time we have is never enough. As the book emphasizes, God limits our days so that we are able to appreciate the limited time that we have. Thus the saying “Carpe Diem” is applicable. We should always seize each day, live each day as if it is our last (Og Mandino), otherwise the moment will pass us by (My Best friend’s wedding).
Some of the best quotes that I have noted when I read the book are as follows:
– “Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can’t. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. an alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.”
– “It is never too late or too soon. It is when it is supposed to be.”
– “We all yearn for what we have lost. But sometimes, we forget what we have.”
– “With endless time, nothing is special. With no loss or sacrifice, we can’t appreciate what we have”
– “Sometimes, when you are not getting the love you want, giving makes you think you will.”
– “When you are measuring life, you are not living it.”
– “Holding on to things only breaks your heart.”
– “Dor: there is a reason God lmits our days.
Dor: to make each one precious.”
– “When we are most alone is when we embrace another’s loneliness.”
– “I made such a fool of myself,” she lamented.
“Love does not make you a fool.”
“He didn’t love me back.”
“That does not make you a fool, either.”
“Just tell me …” Her voice cracked. “When does it stop hurting?”
– “Knowing something and understanding it were not the same thing.”
– “A heart weighs more when it splits in two; it crashes in the chest like a broken plane.”
– “There was always a quest for more minutes, more hours, faster progress to accomplish more in each day. The simple joy of living between summers was gone.”
– “A man who can take anything will find most things unsatisfying. And a man without memories is just a shell.”
– “The length of your days does not belong to you.”
– “Everything man does today to be efficient, to fill the hour? It does not satisfy. It only makes him hungry to do more. Man wants to own his existence. But no one owns time. When you are measuring life, you are not living it.”
– “He almost told her everything right then, that very moment. But you grab a moment, or you let it pass. He let it pass.”